Why do I need this?
You may want to get your own certificates with Starling to avoid your Starling users getting disconnected from your application. You can read more about the causes here.
Getting your certificate with Starling also means that the users will see your app’s name instead of TrueLayer’s in the Starling consent page.
After following the steps below, you will need to send your Client ID and Client Secret to TrueLayer.
As TrueLayer client, you must:
- Be regulated as an AISP (Account Information Service Provider). More info here.
- Create a Starling Developer Account at https://developer.starlingbank.com/
- Create an application in your Starling Developer Account
- Fill in Name, Description, Homepage URL as you like
- Redirect URI must be
- Add your homepage URL and description as desired. Press "Register".
- Upload your application icon
- In the Permissions tab, click “Upgrade Permissions”
- On the next screen click Upgrade Permissions again
- Then you’ll see a screen with an Application Preview. Click Next
- Next, you’ll see a screen with a list of Permissions. Check the boxes for the relevant permissions (we recommend selecting all of the following which are supported by our Data API. If you only need a smaller set of permissions and don’t expect to need more in the future, you can choose a smaller set):
- Download and complete the Starling Form with details about your company. (Here is a copy of the form so you know what to expect, although make sure to double-check before filling it out in case Starling has updated the form). Then, upload the completed form.
- Next, add your company details to the Company Details page.
- Finally, upload your company Information Security Policy for Starling to review.
- Submit the request.
What do I need to send to TrueLayer?
Once Starling has upgraded your permissions, please send us:
Your Application Client ID
You can find them on the Applications tab > Details in your Developer account.
⚠️ WARNING: Only send us the information above via secure channels such as Keybase
⚠️NOTE: if you have existing Starling users, using a new Starling Client ID will only work for new users, and previous connections will remain connected to Starling on the old Starling Client ID. To implement this, if you have many Starling users you’d like to maintain, we recommend setting up a new TrueLayer Client ID and using that for your new Starling users, while maintaining existing Starling users on your existing TrueLayer Client ID. Let us know if you’re planning on doing this so we can match the right Starling Client ID to the right TrueLayer Client ID.