- new: The payment resource has been created, but the payer has not yet authorised the payment. The initial API response will always have this status if the API call is successful.
- authorised: The payer has successfully authorised the payment using the ASPSP portal, but the payment has not yet been submitted for execution.
- cancelled: The payer has cancelled the payment using the ASPSP portal. This may also happen for some bank UIs if the payer clicks the “Back” button in their browser. This is a terminal state.
- rejected: The payer authorised the payment, but the bank rejected it after this. This is a terminal state.
- submitted: TrueLayer has successfully submitted the authorised payment initiation request to the ASPSP API.
- executed: TrueLayer has received acknowledgement from the payer's bank that the payment has been executed via the Faster Payments scheme. This is a terminal state.
The submitted and executed states are very close; in fact a bank may respond to the payment submission indicating the payment has already been executed. However, it is also possible for a payment to be queued within the bank for a short period of time; in that case, the payment status will initially be submitted, and then may be updated to executed after polling for a status check.
Note that after a payment has been executed, it may take some time for it to be settled, although for transactions executed via Faster Payments, this normally happens very quickly.